When we say IFFI only keeps getting better with each new edition, we mean it. By introducing gripping film sections and masterclasses, from honouring women filmmakers to showcasing regional cinema of Goa to releasing a tributary Postage stamp and so much more, IFFI 2019 takes pride in pioneering a few things that are sure to enthrall the audience.
Read on to know what you should not miss out on this IFFI 2019 as they are set to happen for the first time in the festival’s history.
- The 50th edition promises to be grand with an unmatched number of premieres that the festival has seen so far. IFFI 2019 will witness 90 India Premieres, 6 World Premieres and 11 Asia Premieres of Films.
- In a first for IFFI, a special award named “Icon of Golden Jubilee of IFFI” has been constituted by the Government of India. This award will be bestowed to superstar Rajinikanth during Inaugural.
- IFFI 2019 will see more than 35 masterclasses and In-Conversation sessions for the first time, highlighting the nuances of film-making.
- 8 specially curated sections have made their way to IFFI for the first time ever. The 2 sections that commemorate the 50 Golden Years of IFFI include the Golden Peacock Retrospective which features Golden Peacock award-winning films from IFFI in the past and The Golden Lining section which showcases Indian Films completing 50 years in 2019.
- A long-forgotten yet extraordinary way of viewing films will grace IFFI 50. 3 silent films will be screened this year at IFFI that will be accompanied by a live music set by the Master Pianist, Johnny Best.
- Delegates will get a chance to view 17 Documentaries & Short films previously screened at the Mumbai International Film Festival in a special section.
- The regional cinema of Goa will be honoured, as a package of films under the Konkani Language will be showcased at IFFI 50 for the first time as a section named The Goan Story.
- 2 Noteworthy Indian Classics that have been recently restored (A River Called Titas and Kalpana) will be screened at IFFI 2019 under a separate film section.
- 16 eminent personalities from the Indian film industry will be honoured at IFFI 2019 owing to their outstanding contribution to Cinema.
- A whopping number of 24 Oscar submissions have been bagged IFFI 2019 selections, with four of them competing for main awards at the festival.
- 50 Films by 50 female filmmakers from across the globe will be celebrated at the golden jubilee edition of IFFI.
- The Golden Jubilee of IFFI will have 90 International Films showcasing in India for the first time as compared to 60 Indian Premieres that happened last year at IFFI 2018.
- For the First time, Open Air screenings at IFFI will be organised at two different venues for the public – Jogger’s Park & Miramar Beach.
- As a way of adopting technological advancements in the field of filmmaking, IFFI has organised a workshop on VR Filmmaking this year.
- A postage stamp commemorating IFFI 50 will be released this year. It was an open contest held is a collaboration with MyGov wherein more than 400 entries were received and one winning design was chosen.
Experience a rich cinematic journey that IFFI 2019 has in store for you. Make the most of the festival by being a part of many of the “firsts” as you get a chance to watch, learn and get inspired like never before.